Posts: 1,642
Threads: 81
Joined: Sep 2022
I'm replacing all my air brake chambers along with new seals and slide pins on the Rockwell Meritor air disk brakes. I founds 2 chambers on the tag axle which I read the date code (AI did) and they are 1993 and that scared me, the drive axle is 2012 and 2013, the front steer chambers where the same as the drive axle.
What is everyone else doing as far as time? AI says 5-7 years or 500k miles.
1999 45' #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon
Posts: 847
Threads: 42
Joined: Jun 2023
(7 hours ago)Jack Houpe Wrote: I'm replacing all my air brake chambers along with new seals and slide pins on the Rockwell Meritor air disk brakes. I founds 2 chambers on the tag axle which I read the date code (AI did) and they are 1993 and that scared me, the drive axle is 2012 and 2013, the front steer chambers where the same as the drive axle.
What is everyone else doing as far as time? AI says 5-7 years or 500k miles.
It really just like anything else Jack, has a lot to do with the life of the coach. Almost all the coaches that I have worked on have had original brake chambers, they were 30-40 years old and still holding air fine. Is this a good practice, probably not. I would say at the 10 plus year mark you should inspect or replace the diaphragms on the service brake chambers. Your parking brake chambers the entire assembly will need to be replaced as you cannot get to the parking brake diaphragm. The main issue is the rubber diaphragm deteriorating and leaking, wHigh is not good. Sometimes the bodies are not worth putting diaphragms in if they are badly corroded.
Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl & Loudon & Monterey, TN
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)
Posts: 6,008
Threads: 268
Joined: Jul 2012
As Jeff said, take it apart and look at the diaphragm.
Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
95 Newell, 390 Ex caretaker
99 Newell, 512 Ex caretaker
07 Prevost Marathon, 1025
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home

)