You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Southco electric bay latch complete failure

Richard,
Just getting to this now because if internet issues.

Initial conditions: The handle is released and the bay door is closed or open. In this case I would expect no voltage applied to the latch.

Activated condition:  The handle is pulled to open the bay door. I would want a single 12VDC pulse of 50ms length, immediately followed by a minimum of 450ms of 0VDC. The cycle shall not be allowed to repeat as long as the handle remains in the active (pulled) state.

Released condition: As the handle is released, the circuit may reset to initial conditions when two criteria are met: 1.) the 450ms wait period has expired. 2.) The 12VDC signal from the handle has gone to 0VDC.

One more thing. I want to test the electrical latch release before finalizing the design. I don't have specs on the motor, so I don't know how it'll really act. My one shot is just implementing their latch spec. It may be possible that several 10% duty cycles are necessary to make ut work in real life.

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

Jim,
Who did you contact at Southco?

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

(06-12-2024, 09:44 PM)xGE_97 Wrote:  Jim,
Who did you contact at Southco?
Southco Chat

Here are the files supplied by Southco for the EM-03-43-340 latch
.pdf J-EM-03-3_revC.pdf Size: 289.31 KB  Downloads: 3
.pdf TD-EM-03-1-J_rev.pdf Size: 113.46 KB  Downloads: 3

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Bob,

First spend the extra and get the WiFI programmable version, it’s easier to work with than the original.

Second, the easiest way is to use Option 3. The relay would energize when the button is depressed, and release after your programmed time delay. It would not energize again until the button was released and pressed again. I doubt that one would repeatedly press and release the button again with less than 1/2 sec intervals.

Third, if you wanted to get fancier, option 29 is worth investigating, it would guarantee your requirements with one short enagement, followed by a mandatory wait, and would not cycle until the button was released and pressed again. It is more programming would require slightly more complex wiring.

I would try Option 3 first.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Sounds like option 3. You just want to prevent a stuck-on handle from doing the watusi on the latch.

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

Thanks for all the help!!! Awesome having good buddies work the issue.

Tonight its a nice Blanton's and the Stanley cup........Ahhhh. So hard to have just one shot.....Hahahahaha.....

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car