You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aqua Hot Repair and Beckett Conversion

So I finally got around to messing with my Aqua Hot. I initially was not able to get the burner to turn on at all, the fan/pump motor would not run at all. I “fixed” that by giving the control box a thump and the fan/pump came on and I could hear the igniter trying to fire. So then I pulled the burner out, disconnected the igniter and then checked for fuel spray, I got none. So I ordered a new nozzle and put that on, check the fuel spray and it was perfect. I put the burner back in and it fired right up. I had it run up to temperature and shut off, then it would not start again. Another whack on the control box and it started. I was curios so I opened up the control box and it has a pretty decent dark area on the board, as if it has gotten hot. Also noted all the contacts for the cable connectors were dark. So I cleaned all the blades with a scotch bright pad and then I pulled all the spade connectors out of the plug and gave them a little crimp with pliers so they would grab onto the blade better. This seemed to help and now it’s cycling as it should. 
I am not completely happy with this, so I have a Beckett control and igniter coming and I will be converting it over to the Beckett controller once that arrives. I will add that here and hopefully also do a video of the troubleshooting and the conversion process.

Here is a short video of celebration that the burner is going, I did find a post from Rudy about setting the air intake for the burner, maybe he can chime in and tell me I am doing it correctly:
https://youtube.com/shorts/9vbd-jePbNw?s...jwWm1RGdf_

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Jeff, the Webasto burner is not sensitive to more air than necessary. I set the air shudder with the Philips screw point straight into the side (half open) to the screw all the way toward the heater tank (full open). They are very sensitive to not enough air.

No help with Becket burner controller, above my pay grade.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

(01-24-2024, 03:05 PM)Trainer Wrote:  Jeff, the Webasto burner is not sensitive to more air than necessary.  I set the air shudder with the Philips screw point straight into the side (half open) to the screw all the way toward the heater tank (full open).  They are very sensitive to not enough air.

No help with Becket burner controller, above my pay grade.

Excellent, thanks for your input! I did actually open it up all the way for a while to help burn off some of the residuals inside. I will open it all the way up then.

Yea, no problem on the beckett conversion for me, I am an industrial electrician and I have a good wiring diagram from one of the wanderlodge folks, so it should be no problem.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Good job! Thumbs up

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(01-25-2024, 06:07 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Good job! Thumbs up

Thanks Jack, more to come.. just waiting on parts. 

FYI, I ordered the Beckett parts initially from a pressure washer company, but they did not have them in stock. So I found another company I used before and they had them in stock, SupplyHouse.com. Only thing was I messed up and realized that I had moved since the last time I ordered from them and they had my old address, luckily they caught the error and but they had shipped the parts out, so now I am waiting for them to return to the warehouse to be shipped back out again.. oh well, hopefully they will get here.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Jeff,
I am late to the party....just saw this post. 

Here is my thread converting to the Beckett controller and igniter box.  In particular post #17 has my wiring diagram I made up with the final "as built" configuration. https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?t...eckett+mod

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Pay close attention to that diagram for two reasons. One, AH uses ground signals to turn relays off and on, so that’s the reason for the unusually wired external relays. Two, if wired differently than the diagram you will lose the “light turns off if burner faults” function inside the coach.

I have the additional Beckett box for fine tuneing or setting up different from default conditions if you want to borrow it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

If not wired like the diagram you will not have the timed delay blower fan when turning the AH switch to off function.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Thanks Steve and Richard. I finally received my new Beckett controller. I actually ordered the programming tool, but they sent me a 120v controller instead, so I have to return that, so I might take you up on the programming tool if I think I need it. 
 I finally got my aquahot running on the old control board after replacing the nozzle. It was running pretty good. I used it a couple times this past weekend at the Flywheelers tractor show, and the old control board ended up messing up and shutting down the aquahot. So I will need to get it replaced soon. 

I think I will start another thread about my first dry camping experience in the Newell. I was actually quite impressed.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490