You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide seal replacement ???’s

I’m the new owner of coach #606, and rather quickly trying to work through some maintenance items. The biggest item I am working on being the slide out seals. I’ve researched extensively what it takes to replace them, and although I feel I could tackle this task, I don’t want to get in a bind and mess up or have to do the repair twice. I reached out to Motorhomes of Texas and had them shoot me a rough estimate for all 4 seals.  My expectation was to pay around $1200-$1300 each for the material, and $2500+/- each for labor.  
MOT just quoted me a little over $3k each for the seals, and over $4k each for labor. Grand total right at $30k. 
Has anyone recently completed this repair?  Are my expectations way out of line?

Please call me. Rudy Legett. 7 one3. 8 one 8. 3234

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Do you have HWH or Valid slides?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That was going to be my questions also Richard, Lonestar If your going to replace the seals on either valid or HWH the seal track must have special attention, it must be totally adhered to the metal frame on the bottom and up the sides about 6" this is where all the water is coming in from and rotting out floors and getting into compartments below and it must be cleaned of all the old glue that adheres the seal to the tract before you start putting a new one in. If you have HWH slides you its a very difficult job and there are many other things that will need attention before you reinsert the slide.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

#606 is the next to the last 2001 model and has HWH slides.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

HWH is not the answer I was hoping for, I've done both front and rear slides on our 2 slide HWH coach not knowing what a 4 slide coach consists of and how 4 slides work I will back out now. If it were Valid slides I would say follow instructions and take your time to do it right so it doesn't have to be done again but HWH requires a lot of equipment that normal people do not have.

Gravette, Arkansas

If you are anywhere near az I have a slide cart

I have done 4 flat floor slide seals
I thought newell only charged around 3k?

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom what is a flat floor and is it different from what we have?

Gravette, Arkansas

the slides that have a floor that is flat with the rest of the floor are flat floor. that would be the front salon slides and most likely the bedroom slide across from the bed.

the beds are on a raised platform with the mechanism above the floor. on those, you dont have to take the slide out, you disconnect it and bring it in.

my coach was a race coach with no bedroom so the one driver slide slide is a flat floor. i made a bed and end tables for it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks! The rear raised floor slide is easier to work on far as slide seal.

Gravette, Arkansas