You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

monday april 3rd hwh slide seal party in wittmann

TJ, one of our gurus will be in wittmann for a few days to work on his slide seal.  it has rolled out and has no leaks.  so we are either going to do one or the other. it is a drivers side salon slide seal.  
first....see if we feel comfortable getting it back in place without removing the slide.   
or second, take the slide out with my slide cart and clean and reglue the seal in place.  
if anyone would like to join us first thing that monday morning to help or observe, you are welcome.  i live in wittmann, az,   between surprise and wickenburg.  the more the merrier.  
i am not super experienced, but this will be the 4th seal i have helped with.  
let me know.
tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Sounds like fun, wish I was there to help. Rolling it back it in would be a challenge but I guess if you jacked the slide from side to side you could have a little more room to work with. When we replaced ours the hard plastic track which the seal rides in had become detached from the coach frame on the bottom because of water and thus rust under the track, I have a feeling thats what caused the old seal to roll out. We reattached it with 3m 5200.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Tom, give me a call on this.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Thanks Tom!

Your calm guidance and encouragement, along with the use of your well equipped shop made this a simple task.

Thanks also to Mark at Newell the slide man. He pointed out how to push the box back into the coach. It just take 8 people. 6 pushing and 2 guiding the hydraulic cylinders into place.

Tom called some members of his congregation to assist in pushing. With 1200 pounds leaning on the box is moves very easily.

The only hangup was not having a cylinder clocked properly. The rod end (end that attached to the slide box) has a rectangular cap that needs to fit inside the steel tube of the slide mechanism. A call to Mark to figure that out and all that was left was reattaching the interior trim and such.

See Tom's post for photos. 

Points to remember. On my coach the limit switch in is the ceiling of the #2 bay. This is the bay opposite of the entry door. The insulation there was silver bubble wrap glued to plywood, screwed to the framing above.

The front slide cylinder is above the front right tire. 2 screws hold the cover in place. Don't forget to put it back. Now where did I put that cover? 

The slide pins might not be required. Both of my pin cylinders have broken away from the coach side wall framing. In talking with Mark I have decided to not repair the pin cylinder mounts at this time. I have abandoned them in place for now.  If I suffer no issues, rattling, instability, in use or during traveling then I'll cap off the hydraulic lines remove the pin from the cylinder and set the wires at the top of the cylinder to the appropriate normally (open) I need to confirm this with Mark.  The HWH system needs to see the pins are up before the slide can move. 

The slide box top trim is easier to remove and replace if you remove the leather "bar rail" from the box valance.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

i will write up a separate post on how we did it with some pictures.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

"Both of my pin cylinders have broken away from the coach side wall framing"

Wow that would take a lot of force, can't wait to see the pictures.

Gravette, Arkansas

Jack I attempted a fix of this last year. I think there is a post of that.

The side wall of the coach at the top of the hole for the slide box has a length of 1.5"X1.5" .062 wall tube steel that is there to stiffen the wall at the opening and as a place to weld the slide pin mount to. A lot of force moving through some light weight material.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ea2bk9V...o9yQsZO6CQ
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0a4rk925...UT_ByIdKeg

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

Thank you TJ! They certainly did rip out. I learn something every day about these coaches.

Gravette, Arkansas