You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide creep

We have had a reoccurring problem with the PS salon slide.  After changing the extend and retract solenoids, the slide appeared to work correctly.  It was at the RV shop waiting on the generator install and the slide was in as designed.  I picked up the coach on Thursday to return it to storage and the slide was in correctly.  When I returned on Saturday the slide had crept out 2-3 inches.  I then extended the slide out and retracted it back in.  The slide immediately crept out about 4 inches and stopped.  Could the solenoid have failed this soon or could there be a leak in the slide mechanism somewhere that is not obvious?  I have not seen any fluid on the floor when the slide is extended.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!

Brandi and Chris
Coach #636
Hot Springs Village, AR

Make sure that the manual release on the solenoids is not activated. Some are toggle, some are T handle, some are hex nut.

If you have a leak in one of the cylinders, you will know it soon, It will drip into the basement. If you are really curious, you can remove the basement ceiling tiles and look around.

And I have to ask a dumb question, are you sure the retract and extend solenoids that were changed were the actual ones for the problematic slide? Lot’s of solenoids on that manifold………….just sayin.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I checked the release(s) before i tried to retract the slide and they were in the proper position.  i will check the basement for any leaks.  This has been an ongoing issue for several months.  It will be fine and then suddenly begin creeping out later.  The coach sat at the RV shop for two weeks and was fine when i picked it up last Thursday.  The solenoids have been changed twice in the last few months thinking there was a defective one(s).  i have a diagram which came with the coach showing which solenoids are for each slide, etc and even verified with Newell the diagram was correct and for coach 636.  It was faxed from Newell to a previous owner.  

There is a leak at the manifold and hydraulic reservoir junction.  This was verified by a camera since it located at the bottom of the manifold where the reservoir meets the manifold.  It drips a half-dollar size spot every couple of days.  The solenoids were tested by operating the slides and no leaks were seen.  It appears to be a daunting task to pull everything out of the hydraulic bay.

Chris

Brandi and Chris
Coach #636
Hot Springs Village, AR

on my 02 the plugs that go to each solenoid have labels on them.

does it creep out the same amount front and rear of the slide. for the salon slide there are two hydraulic cylinders. if one was leaking internally or externally i would assume that the slide would creep out more on the side of the leaking ram.

these cylinders have a rod and cap end meaning there is pressure on both sides of the piston inside the cylinder.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It seems to creep out more at the bottom than the top. i am going to check for leaks where I can.

Brandi and Chris
Coach #636
Hot Springs Village, AR

Tom’s question was more side to side than top to bottom. The hydraulic cylinders are only on the bottom, and the top of the slide is captured by pins.

The basis of the question leads to a clue. If it were creeping out on one end, then it very well could be a cylinder leak. Both sides creeping out points to a common leak point on the “out” hydraulic system.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

This time it seems the rear of the slide has crept out more than the front but only by a fraction. The perplexing thing is the slide was in correctly while it sat at the RV shop for over two weeks waiting on the generator. I had to pick up some items from the coach during that time and made it a point to check on the slide every time....3 times over two weeks and it did not move a fraction over that time. It only crept out after i picked it up, drove it about 5 miles and put it in storage.
Thanks,
Chris

Brandi and Chris
Coach #636
Hot Springs Village, AR

Thank you to everyone who responded to my thread post. After further investigation it was found the NEW slide solenoid valve installed a few weeks ago had failed for some unknown reason. HWH agreed to replace them and cover the labor costs to investigate problem and replace. The valve was returned to HWH for examination.
Thanks again,
Chris

Brandi and Chris
Coach #636
Hot Springs Village, AR