You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

ZF Suspension-RL-85/E and RL85/A Steerable Tag Diagram/Steering Gearbox 8098

(05-01-2024, 02:47 PM)jdkskyking Wrote:  Jim,
Once you removed the label does the bottle have the same data stamped on it? 
Yes.  I'll take a look at your setup later this afternoon, thanks!

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

I was able to pump the hydraulic pressure up to 230 with the hand pump.  I will try to install the new accumulator this week but I'll require a helper, I'm suddenly limited to lifting no more than 15 lbs. for a while.  I did get the pressure switch so I have all of the parts needed.
Edited 5/5/2024:  I dug into the Noshok pressure switch data.  The 300L Series switch is rated to 870 PSI.  The switch is adjustable between 15psig to 230psig.  

Jim

When I change up my setup I’ll add a bleed valve at the accumulator. The PARKER hydraulic shop I used had the bleed valves used on the rear hydraulic manifold. 

I’m meeting with my friend next week that figured out how the rear cylinder centers and holds the tires straight forward. We are going to complete the autopsies on the master cylinder and the rear centering cylinder. I hope to provide the group with a more detailed explanation how they function. 

I feel this is critical information for owners to fully understand how their suspension functions and will allow them to better detect abnormalities in the ZF RAS system.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

[attachment=13743 Wrote:jdkskyking pid='64701' dateline='1714908174']When I change up my setup I’ll add a bleed valve at the accumulator. The PARKER hydraulic shop I used had the bleed valves used on the rear hydraulic manifold. 
Those bleed valves, are they the Minimess style?  Do you know what thread the manifold is?  Local Parker store doesn't carry those but there will some place in Phoenix that will have them.  It looks like the Parker version of the Minimess fitting is EMA3?  I was able to get a Minimess  to 1/4" FNPT adapter at another hydraulic supply nearby which I used to charge the system with the pump.  I'm saving everything you post, keep it coming.

I decided to delay the accumulator installation until the Fall when I'll be able to do it. I'll take the pump, accumulator and switch along with us in our travels. I did add nitrogen to bring the pressure to 10 bar.  That should insure that nothing will happen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim

(04-22-2024, 08:42 PM)jdkskyking Wrote:  REVISION - NEW INFORMATION 

BOY WAS I WRONG… NOT A DAMPENER AT ALL… THE DESIGN ABSOLUTELY HAS A CENTER-POINT AND THE CYLINDER KNOWS WHERE IT IS.

CENTERING CYLINDER IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. YES, THE CYLINDER WILL SEEK TO CENTER THE TAG AXLE AND INFLUENCE THE STEER AXLE AS WELL. 

IN A NUT SHELL, WITH THE WEIGHT OFF OF THE TAG TIRES AND THE STEERS ON PADS, I STARTED THE ENGINE AND TURNED THE STEERING FULL LEFT AND SHUT OFF THE ENGINE. 
IMMEDIATELY THE THE STEERING WHEEL WANTED TO ROTATE BACK TO THE RIGHT. WHEN I FINALLY LET GO OF THE WHEEL, IT ROTATED RAPIDLY BACK TO CENTER. I PERFORMED THE SAME EXERCISE TO THE RIGHT WITH THE SAME RESULTS. 

I WILL POST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE OLD CYLINDER I DISASSEMBLED. I WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO EXPLAIN HOW IT WORKS. I’TS PFM TO ME?.
Do you have EZ Steer?  It will center the wheel when you let it loose just as you described.

Jim