You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Blew a front tire

Hi People. This is my first time posting on the site but I have had my newel for 6 years and been registered to the site for 2 or 3 years.  This site is a real plus for a newel owner and the info from
all of you is big help on these complicated rigs.  Since my Newel had a new set of michelins installed
6 years ago when I  bought it I felt sure I would not have any tire problems but here is what happened on my last trip back from Montana to Ocean Shores.  I was on  Interstate 90 and had just passed Anaconda, MT. and was going 60 MPH when my right front tire blew.  It was loud and violent. There were no other cars near me but I did take up 1/2 of the lane next to me. By the time I had coasted down to about 20 MPH the right front tire locked up and that sent me rite off the road but I came to a stop  in a good place off the freeway.  I got out and looked at the damage and the tire had come off the rim and wrapped around the axle,  jammed and locked up.  The wheel was shot and the brake hose was tore in 2.  I called Les Swab in Dear lodge. They sent a truck out. I took this man half a day to get the tire off with a grinder and cutting tools plus it is hard to get a newel in the air when it is setting on the rim there is no room to get a jack under it.  All told it took most of the day by the time he found a wheel, Brake hose and 2 Michelins for both front tires. My bill was $1800
for this which I thought was a good deal for something that took all day.  I can't say enough good things about this place or there employee.  When I got home I replaced all the rear tires also. What did I learn from this. Keep both hands on the wheel at all times, Keep the speed down and replace your tires at 5 years exspecially the fronts.  If you made it this far on this post Thank You. This is a great site with nice people.

1991  #248  Ex Al Unser Jr

Thank you for the information, and sorry you had the mishap.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Good post. I have a couple of questions....Do you have a tire pressure monitor for your front tires? You said that you had your coach 6 years and that the tires were also 6 years old.... Do you happen to remember the date code on the tires?

I have heard of some of the Michelins failing early...but if the tires were actually older than 6 years then it would make sense.

Good for you for driving at a sane speed. Last year I was driving my Jeep and was passed by a Newell going so fast I could not catch up with him.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bravo to Les Swab for an excellent repair in a timely manner at a good price.

For those folks like me that are not ever near a Les Swab, there is National Tire Concierge Service. This is a nation wide service for Michelin Tires. Dave and Wendy Ward are Michelin resellers that can call Michelin direct. Recently, they found a 365 for a Newell stranded at Buckhorn in Kerville that had been told no tire available. Dave had the tire there the next day or the day after plus the folks to install for one phone call.

Dave sells Michelins way less than FMCA ($135 per tire for 315s) which is less than retail and includes a 3 year Wheel and Tire Road Hazard warranty.

Dave has a one time $90 fee for his service which gets one signed up to Micheling On Call. They are available 24 hours a day and would have responded to rollensmooth just as did Les Swab. But anywhere in the USA.

Plus one has access to Dave during the business day and he will arrange for everything. So, if this service appeals to you, Dave's number is 32 one 607 two 265. Sure works fine for me.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Congratulations on making it through what could have been a catastrophic situation relatively unscathed. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I've been using Les Schwab for all my tire needs and never been disappointed.

Rudy, that's excellent information! I need to buy all 6 tires when I pick up my coach in Missouri, hopefully sooner than later. $135 a tire sounds almost too good to be true!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Jon, Perhaps I did not clearly state the price. It is $135 per tire less than the sales price from FMCA. I believe 315s are around $770 each. 365s are about $835. Plus, Dave can get the tires when you need them. Call ahead of your pruchase date and everything can be waiting on you when you get to the install shop. Dave will help you find a shop close to you. Shop labor to install tires varies from $25 to $45 per tire. Michelin charges your credit card on record for the tires, not the installing dealer.

Hope this helps.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area

Rudy, I like my misinterpretation better, way less expensive than reality. Thanks for clearing that up!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Hi Bikestuff. You have a good point. Just  because I had them for 6 years does not mean they were only six years old. They could have been setting in a warehouse for a year or 2. I check my tire pressure before  each trip but never when I am on the trip. I need to change this habit and a tire pressure monitor will fix that.  I will get one.  I did not keep any of the tires or check the date codes. I am going to do that on the new tires I bought. Thanks for the Ideas.

1991  #248  Ex Al Unser Jr

When I purchased my Michelins from Dave at NTCS in March this year, all tires were made in 2020. Dave knows we need fresh tires for our coaches.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area