You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bay doors

Hello everyone. So my wife and I just started our Newell search, but I am kind of already ate up with it. Spending all my free time on the net looking at what's out there and reading all of the Newell guru posts I can. Looked at a 95 (#379) yesterday. Needs lots  and lots of work. It has been parked for a very long time (not enclosed but under cover). 
1. Needs all new tires, 
2. both windshields need to be replaced. 
3. All (and I mean every) bay doors do not close properly, will not stay open unless you engage the safety latch and are either missing the lock mechanism of will not lock. 
4.Need new engine and house batteries. 
5.All of the furniture needs to be replaced or recovered. 
6.There is a crack in the top edge of the rear fiberglass cap.
7. Water stains around most of the Windows but I don't think they are leaking. I think this is due to moisture build from sitting so long without being aired out.
8. ]The generator would turn over but not start but the coach fuel level was below a quarter tank so that might be the culprit. It would start if sprayed with some starter fluid.
 The good news.
We were able to get it started with just a jump from.my truck
( A little concerned about the mileage. According to the title, it had 149,700 miles on it when it was purchased in 2011. Now it only has 149,800. So supposedly it has only been driven 100 miles in 9 years.  I
Airbags worked and all system gauges indicated everything was functioning properly. We let it run for 30 plus minutes. For as much as I know, air pressure was good, temp was good, etc.air ride appeared to go into travel mode and adjusted. However, due to the condition of the tires, we did drive it.

I guess what I am generally looking for from the gurus is an overall impression based on my description. And maybe an opinion as what some of these repairs might cost. I can do some of the work myself but I do not have a shop or the expertise to do the real technical stuff. 

I'm torn. There are several coaches in my price range that appear to be in much better shape and are road ready. But if I think I can get this one for a good price.

Any and all thoughts  will be greatly appreciated.
There's a lot more to list but this a cholesterol start.
Thanks, Tony Huh

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

You will need to be ready to hit 15K in repairs in a real short time based on your list. I would also recommend having another 25K in reserve "just in case". You probably won't need it right away, but it's nice to have the peace of mind that if you do need it, it won't ruin your lifestyle.

A used coach needing batteries and tires is not unusual, most people when selling won't put out that money for those.
Lack of use is a negative.
Bay doors could just need new rams, there is a post on a homemade tool to easily replace them. The electric locks are easily and cheaply replaced.
Newell typically used higher quality furniture like Villa.
I would plan to pull and reseal all of the windows, not difficult but time consuming.
Generator not starting is probably due to low fuel level.
Possibly the speedometer/odometer is not working? and may have more miles than that. If it's a Series 60 and has the Detroit monitor it might show the correct miles.
But like Clint said, have $$$$ ready to spend on it. And time, are you wanting something to use now or have the time to redo it like you want?
Another weak spot is the radiator, look at it closely for fin rot.
IF you are someone who enjoys and has the skills to do your own work you can do most of these needed items. But I'd look for a coach that has had better maintenance.
Have fun!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

It depends.

As Forest said, if you are handy guy with a place to work on it, and it can be bought for a condition appropriate price, then go for it.

If you want to use it right away, and don’t have the time, resources, or inclination to bring it back to life, then keep looking.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

If it were me, I would hire a professional inspector.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I’m sorry you wasted your time, if this is the green one Forsale in Georgia. I spoke to the owner we he listed on this forum before it was even listed on rvtrader. I would of bought it the first day it was listed but I knew personally this coach was a basket case with just the 4 pictures he sent me and the description of the coach. I offered $25k. Sounds like I was right on. I’m glad he didn’t take my offer, I would be even more disappointed. Some coaches even being a Newell are not worth the time and investment. Especially ones that have been neglected and lived in.
This coach would have to be purchased cheap to make all the time and money spent to make it Newell worthy.

Just be patient and you may need to spend a little more but you can find a nice coach.

Just my opinion. But some people unfortunately learn the hard way.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Thanks to all for your valuable input. It's hard because you keep trying to convince yourself that this could be the one. Even if feel down inside, you know it's probably not the right move. Glad to have such a knowledge base available. Much appreciated. Tony

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

hi tony,

i have had 3 newells. 90, 99 and 02. none of them were in the kind of shape you are describing this 95 is. i am totally fearless on doing things on them. the advise you have been given so far is spot on. if anything, a little optimistic. after tires and batteries (10k), then you get into the unknowns. unless you really can get it for a song....like really cheap.....then you are going to spend way more money and time than you think on getting this reconditioned. the miles can be easily checked with either the monitor if it has one (all do not), or using a silverleaf vms pc. or a detroit scanner at a shop. the tach might have an hour meter on it you can look at as well.

my 02 has well over 200k on it and i am not worried about the drive train. that said, i do fluid samples, and have it completely serviced including tranny. having brakes and seals and bearings etc if needed add up big time too. but again, easily inspected by someone who is qualified.

chester suggested an inspector. problem is what kind. one that does the drive train is different than a coach system one and not many of them know newells. that is why so many of us have helped each other with that.

the coach systems can really add up on work, time and money. nothing is cheap on these things.

so, like some have said, unless it is killer cheap, and you have lots of time, and are ok with not knowing for sure how much money you need to spend on it. and have a place to work on it at. and or you just really love it. (thats ok too), then be really sure this is a project you are willing to take on.

like i said, i am fearless on these things. and so is richard, forest and some that have commented here.

you mentioned that you would need help with the real technical stuff. if you have to pay someone 130 bucks an hour to work on your coach, it can eat your wallet up very quickly. a mechanic that does prevosts (like a charter bus company) can do the drivetrain stuff. the coach systems are pretty unique and in general you would be paying someone to learn how to fix your coach.

as many of us say, there is nothing a credit card cant fix on these things.....as long as it has a big enough credit limit. and at least for me, i am my own warranty program. (and my wife sets the credit limit.....ha)

also remember, there is always another coach. enjoy the journey in looking at them.

later

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thank you for your insight. I believe we are going to pass on this one and keep watching. Thanks

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

Tony and Cindy,

I'm going to add my two cents worth.

Everything above is excellent advice. I've had two Newells and would like you to avoid what I've been through.

If you're looking at a 1995 Newell, a well maintained Newell coach without any issues is extremely undervalued in my estimation. You're looking a a coach that has a chassis that will give you well over a million miles. The Detroit Deisel S60 if maintained will give you a million miles before requiring an overhaul. All the Newell components are state of the art for the year. Get your self a well maintained coach and participate in the forum to learn to fix any maintenace issues you encounter. There are members here that could probaly make the coach you were looking at okay for them, but they're the ones that can do practically everything on their own.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad