You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Question about water fill, dump valves and tank flush

Fixin to head out on the road for the maiden shakedown voyage. I have read a few thing about the dump valve , tank flush and fill.  please I want to make sure I have this system correct.

So there is only 1 black/grey tank and it mixes both together. So there is a main termination valve I see but behind that there is another valve, why is that valve there. Is the tank seperated into 2 sides ??  I have shot a pic to try and explain. 

on the aqua hot bay there is another dump valve. I presume you can dump the tank from either side as well as fill the fresh water from either side ( am I correct on this)

also on the aquahot bay there is a fill valve at the top of the tank near the back, it has a manual shutoff valve anso there is a 3/4" hose that runs from that valve down to bottom of the tank. Is this the tank flushout area ?

herer are a few pics of the bay areas.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

One tank for all waste water.

You can dump from either side.

The quarter turn valve at the top in the AH bay is for flushing the waste tank.

The last one is a little harder to noodle. If you look between the two gate valves in the water bay, you will see that the gray water enters between those two valves. Let me repeat, the grey water does NOT flow directly into the waste tank, it flows into a collection system and back feeds into the bottom of the tank at the first gate valve. Normally you leave the gate valve closest to the tank open, and use the one at the stinky slinky end to dump the waste tank.

However, Newell plumbed it to give you the option of retaining the black water and continuously dumping the grey. Close the valve at the tank. Open the valve at the sewer hose end, and the grey water will continuously dump.

I want to caution you to find the dump switch that activates the dump valve on the passenger side. On some coaches there was a dump switch at the driver console that activated that valve. Let’s not speculate on what that might have been used for. But, I will say there is one real story about someone who mistook that switch for another while driving and fertilized a section of the interstate.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(09-22-2023, 01:33 PM)Richard Wrote:  One tank for all waste water.

You can dump from either side.

The quarter turn valve at the top in the AH bay is for flushing the waste tank.

The last one is a little harder to noodle. If you look between the two gate valves in the water bay, you will see that the gray water enters between those two valves. Let me repeat, the grey water does NOT flow directly into the waste tank, it flows into a collection system and back feeds into the bottom of the tank at the first gate valve. Normally you leave the gate valve closest to the tank open, and use the one at the stinky slinky end to dump the waste tank.

However, Newell plumbed it to give you the option of retaining the black water and continuously dumping the grey. Close the valve at the tank. Open the valve at the sewer hose end, and the grey water will continuously dump.

I want to caution you to find the dump switch that activates the dump valve on the passenger side. On some coaches there was a dump switch at the driver console that activated that valve. Let’s not speculate on what that might have been used for. But, I will say there is one real story about someone who mistook that switch for another while driving and fertilized a section of the interstate.
Learned something new on the grey water bypass.  This will be incredibly helpful as we generally stay places with water only. 

Would like to know more about the valve you’re describing to flush waste tank?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

On the passenger side in the AH bay, look at the waste tank upper left hand corner. You should see a 1/4 turn valve with a hose connection. You can hook a hose to that connection and flow water directly into the tank. The position of the 1/4 valve will determine whether the water enters the top or the bottom of the tank. I actually ran a hose over the top of the waste tank so I could provide water from the wet bay.

I do a quick rinse of the tank at every dump, it seems to keep solids from building up on the bottom of the tank. Since I started that practice, I find that I get no or very little swamp gas aroma from the roof vents.

CAUTION ! Do not run water into the waste tank and walk away. There is no mechanism from overfilling the tank.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, Thank you again for the clarification. I ran a hose from the ah bay over to the fresh water bay as you had done for the tank flush.  Thank you again.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

(09-22-2023, 01:33 PM)Richard Wrote:  I want to caution you to find the dump switch that activates the dump valve on the passenger side. On some coaches there was a dump switch at the driver console that activated that valve. Let’s not speculate on what that might have been used for. But, I will say there is one real story about someone who mistook that switch for another while driving and fertilized a section of the interstate.

The previous owner of my coach showed this to me as we were doing the initial walk around.  He called it the "Alabama Dump".    Big Grin

I have avoided it's use.. haha

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

(09-23-2023, 09:09 AM)Burlyman Wrote:  
(09-22-2023, 01:33 PM)Richard Wrote:  I want to caution you to find the dump switch that activates the dump valve on the passenger side. On some coaches there was a dump switch at the driver console that activated that valve. Let’s not speculate on what that might have been used for. But, I will say there is one real story about someone who mistook that switch for another while driving and fertilized a section of the interstate.

The previous owner of my coach showed this to me as we were doing the initial walk around.  He called it the "Alabama Dump".    Big Grin

I have avoided it's use.. haha
I use the curb side dump fairly often, especially at lake and riverfront sites when I pull into the site that was meant to be backed into.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling