You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Water separator on Aux Compressor Replacement

For many years, Newell used a clever setup on the 120V air compressors where a classic water separator with clear bowl is used to trap water in the air coming from the compressor. They also mounted a solenoid operated valve on the bottom drain of the water separator that had two functions. One, when it opened at the end of the cycle, any accumulated water would drain. Two, it relieved the head pressure on the compressor in order to make the compressor easy to start on the next cycle. 

That's all great, but the separators are notorious leakers. Some people find creative ways of stopping the leak, but they inadvertantly eliminate the pressure relief on the compressor. The compressor doesn't last long starting against a head pressure. 

There is an alternate setup that is inexpensive and works great. Many of you may already be aware of this device, but in case you are having this problem, here is a different solution.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHZ...UTF8&psc=1  You can buy more expensive ones, but the name and function is the same.

.pdf Scan_20200614.pdf Size: 85.34 KB  Downloads: 68

The diagram is crude but shows how to plumb the device. There are a couple of things to keep in mind. One, this device REPLACES the well pump switch for turning power on and off to the compressor. You will have to adjust it downward to come on at 60 and off at 90. The instructions are printed in the top of the protective cap. Two, it is imperative that you plumb the air lines exactly as the diagram with a tee before the checkvalve, and one of the lines from the tee goes to the 1/4 tubing fitting on top of the unloader. 

This is how the whole thing works. When the compressor is on, the air flows to the tee, one branch of the tee flows to the mechanical unloader valve via the 1/4 line. That branch is dead headed because the mechanical unloader valve is closed. The other branch of the tee flows to the check valve, through the check valve and to the body of the unloader (the part with the four ports), and the exit of the ports flows into the ping tank and onto the coach. The pressure switch is mounted on the ported manifold. When the pressure reaches it's setpoint, the switch opens, and when it does it depresses the stem of the mechanical unloader valve. That releases pressure coming from the tee via the 1/4 line. However the pressure does not flow back out of the tank or ported manifold because of the check valve. This explanation will read better if you print the diagram to look at while following the description. 

I have added a drain valve on the bottom of the ping tank. I like quarter turn shut off valves. You will need to drain the tank once a month or so. 

I am posting this because I helped a gentlemen this week with a system like this, and it is a frequent problem with Newell coaches.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Great Richard. I want to implement this on 513.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513