You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

12.5 KW Kohler

On a recent trip in our 86 , the generator stopped running while we were travelling . Indicated oil pressure was near 60 psi , temp 155 on console gauges . We heard a " clinking " sound and I immediately noticed that the AC voltmeters were dropping to zero and the generator had stopped running . Gen had been running fine for about 14 hours . Oil level on the full mark . After about 45 minutes I tried the start switch and the generator fired right up and ran fine for the rest of the trip , about 2 hours . Evidently the hour meter doesn't work , but has something over 2,500 hrs showing . 
 I noticed that the front roof AC seems to be drawing a lot of current , 16 amps on the overhead ammeter . The gen was really laboring at times when running all 3 ac units . No breakers kicked , but at one point the relay / contactor above the dash was clicking . All this prior to shut down .
 I want to check the brushes and slip rings . Looks like the options are : remove genset . Access through cooling fan hole . Cut out part of gen compartment floor and replace after repair . For me , removing the unit is probably going to be the best way to go . I'm thinking of slicing off the slide out limiter , then use my engine lift to ease the whole thing out . This way I should be able to get the unit out without disturbing the radiator , etc .
 This was first outing with our fully loaded race trailer and the old coach pulled it with no problem . Very happy about that .
Any advice much appreciated . Forgot to mention , also have new fuel filter to install .
Thanks ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

If your coach has the ram for the slide out there should be a cotter key and pin at the end to remove and allow the genset to move forward.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Yes , pin is out , gen is out as far as it will go , against the stop that is welded onto the slide framework .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

I'm not sure how your coach is set up, does the generator slide out by air?  If so, Steve is spot on, remove the bolt holding the ram.

I have found the best method for removing front mounted generators is to use a pallet jack and cribbing.  I find it unusual that the limiting stop cannot be defeated by a bolt on bracket somewhere.  At the time of coach build, the set would have to have been inserted in the track and then the stop welded on, not consistent with Newell thinking i've seen.  nevertheless, you'll have to disconnect fuel, AC lines, battery cables, & control umbilical.  

It is also unusual for the set to start back up after 45 min unless it overheated during it's laboring period and your gauge isn't displaying correctly.  I'm also wondering how you know when to change oil without a running time meter?

If you're not comfortable with sliding the whole set out, the  brushes and slip ring can be accessed by removing the cooling fan.  It's difficult for an old fat guy like me but a limber young dude shouldn't have any problem.  Search the generator threads for more information on this subject.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

(06-20-2018, 06:08 AM)bestgenman Wrote:  I'm not sure how your coach is set up, does the generator slide out by air?  If so, Steve is spot on, remove the bolt holding the ram.

I have found the best method for removing front mounted generators is to use a pallet jack and cribbing.  I find it unusual that the limiting stop cannot be defeated by a bolt on bracket somewhere.  At the time of coach build, the set would have to have been inserted in the track and then the stop welded on, not consistent with Newell thinking i've seen.  nevertheless, you'll have to disconnect fuel, AC lines, battery cables, & control umbilical.  

It is also unusual for the set to start back up after 45 min unless it overheated during it's laboring period and your gauge isn't displaying correctly.  I'm also wondering how you know when to change oil without a running time meter?

If you're not comfortable with sliding the whole set out, the  brushes and slip ring can be accessed by removing the cooling fan.  It's difficult for an old fat guy like me but a limber young dude shouldn't have any problem.  Search the generator threads for more information on this subject.
I  went in via cooling fan hole and got to the brushes , etc . One of the slip rings looks good,  the other is black . Brushes are not damaged , short length is about 3/8 . I still need to remove brush holder . The springs fell out and look different to any I have seen before . Almost think they are broken . I have the Kohler manual but it doesn't have brush specs or any pictures.  I'm probably going to pull the generator out to get better access .
Thanks for the input .
Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Chris, The springs don't look that bad  but 3/8" is pretty short.  You might want to put new ones in now that you are this far.  I've used a vendor in PA in the past, they are reasonable and might have stock.  https://www.partsfortechs.com

They'll want model # and SPEC#.

Good luck.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Update on generator,  advice is appreciated. I ended up going with new brushes and cleaning the slip rings . The springs were fine as indicated by The Gen Man , I didn't get how they worked at first . Also replaced fuel filter and water pump belt while I was at it . Generator ran the whole time on a 700 mile trip , and about 18 hours on Friday and restarted yesterday morning,  has been running continuously since . Will shut down in a little while to check oil . 
Again , input is appreciated .
Still much to do on this old coach , but it's starting to make us smile .
Thanks,  Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand