You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Howard Power Center - fix or remove ?

(07-22-2016, 06:34 AM)InfiLights Wrote:  Hello all,

Turning my attention to the Howard Power Center - Steering stabilizer.

As I bough the coach, the system is inoperable. On the inside, the light is On on the switch but no air on the gauge.
I believe it is shut down from below. I do not see any hydraulic fluid in the sight tube, has a little in the reservoir. Don't hear any air leak around it.

I know that the company is defunct and nobody services them. There must be a reason the system was shut down and no air is coming to it. They are known to leak. If there was an old leak, I do not see it anymore so I would start blind.....

The question.....worth trying to revive it, see what is wrong, spend money finding out it needs parts that are no longer available ?... Or remove it completely from the coach ?

The "dead" cylinder is attached to the steering and I am thinking that it can not be a good thing to have something there that just adds to the effort of steering and wear to it....

I have driven many miles on different coaches with tag. The Newell tracks well with the Howard inoperable. If it were to work, I am sure it would be a good thing and an improvement.

So either fix it or remove it.....Any advice ?

Hi I as wonder if you still have that Howard’s steering stabilizer for sale?
Here is my email address
[email protected]
1-909-261-0704

As I bough the coach, the system is inoperable. On the inside, the light is On on the switch but no air on the gauge.
I believe it is shut down from below. I do not see any hydraulic fluid in the sight tube, has a little in the reservoir. Don't hear any air leak around it.

I know that the company is defunct and nobody services them. There must be a reason the system was shut down and no air is coming to it. They are known to leak. If there was an old leak, I do not see it anymore so I would start blind.....

The question.....worth trying to revive it, see what is wrong, spend money finding out it needs parts that are no longer available ?... Or remove it completely from the coach ?

The "dead" cylinder is attached to the steering and I am thinking that it can not be a good thing to have something there that just adds to the effort of steering and wear to it....

I have driven many miles on different coaches with tag. The Newell tracks well with the Howard inoperable. If it were to work, I am sure it would be a good thing and an improvement.

I love mine, and it works as advertised. But, it was a whole lot of effort to get it there!

I do have an almost complete spare system I bought along the way. I have sold the bladder than goes in the tank.
The cylinder state is unknown. I think anyone purchasing should plan on having it rebuilt. This is an option through a company in TX.
The stuff is heavy and bulky and shipping could be expensive.
If there is interest, I do plan to show up at Bella Terra for the rally.

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR A WHILE. I CHANGED A COUPLE OF AIR SWITCHES, CLEANED SOME LINES AND IT WORKED FOR A WHILE AND THE HYDRAULIC RAM STARTED TO LEAK AND MY NEXT EFFORT IS TO REBUILD THE ARM. WHEN IT WORKED IT WAS GREAT AND EASY TO DRIVE. I HOPE TO GET MINE WORKING AFTER NEW YEARS....

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

I have a Howard Power Center Steering System on a P30 chassis '97 Safari Trek, the Howard is not working BUT everything I'm able to find sez it's better than sliced bread and worth the effort to repair. I'm having no luck finding any docs, pdf files or even repair threads. I'm looking for an install sheet or any documentation about installing and setting up figuring I'll just pull the entire system and re-install.
Thanks;

I have one also. I'm trying to make it work but find any parts is almost impossible..if you decide to junk it, let me know.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

(07-22-2016, 04:24 PM)RussWhite Wrote:  Well I fixed mine.  Maybe it's just because it was on the coach and I am driven to see that everything just works as it should.

I now own almost a complete set of spares as I purchased a system from a Prevost.

I have had the experience of driving the coach with and without it for considerable time.  I like it.

One press on the big button and the steering is centered at that position.  Nice for a crowned roads and nice in winds.   Sure, I get where I am going with or without it.
One possible advantage not mentioned, but one that figures highly in the documentation, is the resistance to sudden steering movements that could be generated by an exploding steer tire.  Yeah, I don't want to test that one!

I had my steering cylinder rebuild by a company that does them regularly.  No leaks and no problems since.  The cylinder from the Prevost may be okay, who knows.   Just collecting dust in the basement right now.   Just my experience.  As they say YMMV

Russ
Russ, would you mind sharing the contact info on the company that rebuilt the steering cylinder?

Ron

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

Sure - it was given earlier in this thread, but here you go:

Lake Tool & Hydraulics, Inc.
2801 E Napoleon St
Sulphur LA 70663

attn.. Jess Harper

337 625-5737
Email [email protected]

Russ White