You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

TV on lift behind couch

The Sony radio is a MEX-XB100BT from Best Buy. They have a high-powered (80 watt I think) version but for $110 this was a bargain. It does bluetooth perfectly and with the Sony SongPal app it lets everything coming from the iPad play through (still trying with movies though). So I can have Waze navigating and listen to Pandora, SiriusXM (have to put the antenna outside), GoogleMusic, iTunes, etc. so we can listen to just about anything while driving or sitting. It sounds good when driving with the speaker setup we have (3 up front and two in the kitchen living room area) but when parked it sounds odd because the bass all comes from the back and treble/mid from the front (like a car system). I will play with that this week and try to get it separated better. I think I am going to forget about the big stereo amp because I can run TV through the radio system when I add the TV up front. Having two TVs with different games on would drive my wife nuts! I like NFL game rewind, we can catch up on all the games we missed while traveling. Probably going to break down and get a dish ordered this week for Dish Network (might go with DTV for NFL ticket)... I am thinking about getting the 4k OLED 55" LG TV instead of the 1080p version so I can use it as a computer monitor when needed. I bought a 4K Samsung 28" monitor last week and it was absolutely gorgeous but it is just too much for now (maybe later I'll get another one) so I returned it.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

(11-28-2015, 08:15 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Adrian, I kept the TV in the overhead above the dash in addition to the tv on the lift.  Now, on game days, I can watch two different games.  Its terrific...especially if you are confused like I am about which teams to follow.  (I went to Miss. State, UAB, and Alabama) but I have always loved Auburn.  

I did replace the old heavy plasma with a lightweight LED tv.  The heavy Plasma had nearly pulled the entire overhead down into my lap!

Which model of Sony do you have?

bill

Hi Bill,   I just came across this old post of yours while looking for information about my sagging overhead TV cabinet.    Did you have a subsidence issue that you had to repair?

Thanks,
Chuck

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

Chuck,

Not sure what you mean.  On my coach the left side (drivers) side started to sag.  Newell jammed a 2x4 under the overhead cabinet to hold it up at the proper height.  They put additional screws into the side of the overhead cabinet to anchor to the coach.  It has not moved since then.

This picture was taken by putting camera behind the left wall of the cabinet.  That metal bracket seems to the be the way that the overhead is held to the side wall.  I am not sure if that was original or was added during the fix.  

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(11-01-2018, 11:40 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Chuck,

Not sure what you mean.  On my coach the left side (drivers) side started to sag.  Newell jammed a 2x4 under the overhead cabinet to hold it up at the proper height.  They put additional screws into the side of the overhead cabinet to anchor to the coach.  It has not moved since then.

This picture was taken by putting camera behind the left wall of the cabinet.  That metal bracket seems to the be the way that the overhead is held to the side wall.  I am not sure if that was original or was added during the fix.  

bill

Hi Bill,
This is exactly what's happened to my coach.   I'm getting ready to shore it up so I can add to and reinforce the attachments.    Even the blocks behind the TV holding the shelf to the front of the coach had separated, so I'm going to address all fasteners.    
What did Newell remove to get access to the side wall brackets?    I hate to remove a whole lot of black fuzzy carpet to find the screw heads.

Thanks for your help!
Chuck

I don't really remember, but think that that the side piece on the overhead comes out. As far as the black fuzzy carpet...that peals up easily and goes back down with spray adhesive.

I know that they did not have to disassemble or remove the entire overhead.

The door comes off easily. (The hinges come apart with a little lever in the back).

The shelf should just be sitting there.

Once you get the door off and the shelf out...look for black screws at the bottom. I bet you will find some buried in the black felt. That will allow you to remove the side wall.

After that, I am not sure. Hopefully you will able to see the cleat and shore it up.

Remember to pad the end of your 2x4 so you don't scratch anything.

Good luck!

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I'm pleased to report that the jacking and refastening was successful. Surprising that Newell under engineered the suspension of the entertainment cabinet to this extent. Most tangibly, my window shades now operate freely without the upper unit bearing down on them. Thank you Bill for your information and encouragement.

Chuck

Chuck,

Did you learn anything along the way that you can add to my feeble instructions? The next guy down this road could probably use the help!

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Chuck, you figured out why the window shades would not operate when I could not. Good job and glad it worked out. I'm sure your noted how easy it is to move the TV in and out.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica