You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Battery tender for start batteries?

I find that my 2 8d starter batteries need a charge every week or so. I guess I have some parasitic loads on them.
Will this tender work or should I need one for each battery or a larger one:

http://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUA1200901-S...OT+Charger

Also where would be the best place to run a permanent cable for 110v for this?
The closest receptacle is in one of the basements in the middle of the coach, kinda far to fish a cable.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I had the same problem Forrest and I asked Newell about it.. They said it was the Ddec monitoring system and would drain it in a week or so..I have since anytime I park it just turn off the chassis batteries in the rear compartment .. So far that has solved my issue.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Forest,

I like Yachts idea of turning the batteries off since they are not needed.

I like the Battery Tender 1.5 amp brand battery maintainer on my chassis batteries. On my Foretravel, I have a 120 vac plug on the bed pedestal above the engine to which I plugged the Battery Tender. I ran the charge cable over the pedestal, down through the opening above the engine to the start batteries. Has worked great for me for several years.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

I cut on the merge switch about once a week and leave it on about 24 hours. This seems to work OK but are there any reason one can't leave this switch on all the time while parked? Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

That's what I do Chappell but I'm looking for a better solution so I don't forget or if we're gone for a week or longer.
I guess I could cut off those batteries at least until I get a better solution.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I always leave ours merged when hooked to shore power. Always have fully charged engine batteries for easy starting that way.

Well I did that this summer when we left the coach for a month in Denver.
Came back and found one or 2 of the house batteries had a bad cell. This caused the inverter/charger to keep pumping in a charge and ended up ruining the rest of the batteries. These were Exide lead acids 2 years old and either previous owner never checked the water level or MOT never checked them. So I'm trying to avoid the same situation.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

OK, another question, the merge switch is a toddle with the middle is off. Are there any difference in up or down?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Functionally there is no difference. Both positions operate the very same solenoid that connects chassis batteries to house batteries. The two positions just determine which set of batteries supplies the voltage to operate the solenoid initially. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Thanks, Russ for this and parts # for oil sender.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot