You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator shut down

The other day I was exercising the generator and testing for a random shutoff condition.  I was going to be working in the front two bays for awhile, so I would be close by to pay attention to it when it shut off.  I have a 20KW Kubota
The Genny started fine within two crank cycles and ran smooth.  I ran an ac to put an 8amp load on it.  No issues for about 2 hours.  Then, I could hear it start to run a little rough, maybe 30 seconds for me to recognize it, started to run a little rougher, I went inside to look at the gauges, Temp good at 180, oi pressure good and it died.  Tried to restart and no go.  Genny was serviced last August.  An hour later, the Genny started right up, ran fine.

So my questions are:
Is there a Owners manual for these things or a service manual?   
From a few threads I read, It could be Low coolant, or a fuel shut off solenoid?  How do I test this solenoid?
Other suggestions?

I know very little of diesels, but can certainly turn a wrench.

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused

What is your fuel level? They shut down when the tank gets to 1/4.

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon 

Running rough and shutdown sound like fuel problem.

Oil and coolant issues are an immediate shutdown. It’s on or off.

Fuel solenoid usually shows up as no start. Usually.

Change all the fuel filters and see what happens. Yeah, I know you said it was service last year. First thing on diesel shutdown is always change the filters.

If that doesn’t fix it, I would be looking at the fuel pump.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard beat me to it...I'm leaning towards lack of fuel.

My culprits, in order of appearance ;-)...or at least order of what to check first:

1. Filters clogged - change them (and yes...I've seen new filters clog when you've got bad fuel!)
2. Bad line or fitting letting air in line, etc. - pull a line and test
3. Water in line/tank - look at glass, draw sample
4. Bad fuel (algae, gel?) - pull sample, treat tank
5. Fuel pump - test pressure, replace pump

This would be my steps to go through.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(05-23-2024, 10:09 AM)CaptainGizmoTo all, Thanks, I will go down the maintenance path with a full service first.  Filters, oil, fuel sample etc.  My thought process was something was heating up and shutting the fuel off.  Bad fuel would make it run crappy all the time, clogged filters would make it run crappy from the start up.  I asked for help and will follow your steps first to see.  If not then will look at fuel pump, sensors and solenoid. Wrote:  Richard beat me to it...I'm leaning towards lack of fuel.

My culprits, in order of appearance ;-)...or at least order of what to check first:

1. Filters clogged - change them (and yes...I've seen new filters clog when you've got bad fuel!)

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused

(05-26-2024, 01:02 PM)khgeisler Wrote:  
(05-23-2024, 10:09 AM)CaptainGizmoTo all, Thanks, I will go down the maintenance path with a full service first.  Filters, oil, fuel sample etc.  My thought process was something was heating up and shutting the fuel off.  Bad fuel would make it run crappy all the time, clogged filters would make it run crappy from the start up.  I asked for help and will follow your steps first to see.  If not then will look at fuel pump, sensors and solenoid. Wrote:  Richard beat me to it...I'm leaning towards lack of fuel.

I had a buddy of mine that bought a diesel truck, it had over 500k miles on it and it was having a recurring fuel delivery problem. The dealership did almost everything to fix the problem, even replaced the engine computer to eliminate it. What was happening was every time the fuel got near the bottom of the tank, crud in the tank would gather around the in tank filter and it would then run like crap until you filled the tank up. Finally they pulled the tank and cleaned it and all was well. Moral of the story is that clogged filters etc can act funny, they are not always just plugged up, the crud can move around and plug them one time and not another. The list provided is what I would go through and hopefully one of those is your issue.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Richard and Steve hit all of the right notes in the right order, but if none of them do it I will give you one more - your fuel hoses leading to the pump may be aged/cracked (especially at any bends or near the end) such that they allow air in and cause you to lose prime when they get hot and pliable from engine heat but not when cold on initial startup.

Let us know what you determine.

Best regards,

db

2008 C-15/ZF12
Towing Jeep Gladiator (BluOx/AirForce)

On 316 I had a fuel delivery issue with the main engine. It would not rev above 1000 rpm. After hours of troubleshooting we found that the inside of the fuel line had deteriorated and was allowing a collapse inside the line thus starving it for fuel. I found it by running a seperate fuel line (garden hose) that bypassed the line. It ran great!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.