You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Southco electric bay latch complete failure

Gurus, My 2009 coach 1261 has 2 failed southco bay latches on the fuel door. One of the latches does not release with the safety pull cable. Does anyone have advice as to how to release this latch when the pull cable has no effect?

I had this happen to a latch in a pass through bay and was able to crawl in and remove the catch from the coach body by removing the two bolts. This is not possible in this case because the tank is in the way and batteries are in the bay on the other side of the coach. HELP!!

BTW, the latches failed at the same time when I lifted the release handle on the fuel door and the handle stayed out. I rushed to activate the bay door locks (which turn off the power) but it was too late. Both were dead. We had just left Newell after our PM, and were on the way to an appointment, so we couldn't go right back. We planned to go after we were free. Besides, I checked the release cable operation for both latches and they worked. Fast forward a few weeks and I had used the cables to release the fuel door several times. Today one of the release pull cables had no effect. Therefore no fuel could be added. Not enough fuel to guarantee making it to Newell.

I called Newell and the recommendation was 1. pull the release cable. 2. spray wd-40 into the southco latch. 3. try pulling the cable again while pushing in where the latch mates so the pressure is off the latch while pulling. No workee....

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

Bob, can you post a few pics of the latch mechanism to generate some ideas on how to defeat it from the outside. I am imagining a slim tool, string, or other device to sneak into the crack of the opening and defeat the latch.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,

Thanks. I will later today. We were traveling to get to a point where I'll have a few days to deal with this. I don't know when the bay doors switched to the folding design, but that's what I have in 2009. In this case, the fuel bay door has about a 1" wide opening that runs parallel with the outside of the door. This opening is in back of the stainless sealing surface. I plan to access the fixed portion of the latching mechanism and remove the nuts that attach it. The problem is that Newell uses nylock nuts and the bolt heads are covered by the Southco latch, when the bay door is closed. It'll be more clear with pictures, later. Hope I can get this off.

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

Ok. Here are some annotated pics of the latch and striker. These are from an open bay so it does not show the door arms in the closed position. When closed, the arms move into a vertical position next to the striker nuts, further limiting access to those nuts.

Image #1 shows a view of the fixed striker, upon which the latch jaw connects. The striker is held to an adjustable bracket by two hex-key bolts and two nylock nuts. For those that don't know nylock, its a nut that has a ring of nylon crimped to the back. Tbe purpose of the nylon is to resist loosening without using a lock washer. The problem in this case is that there is no access to the hex-key head to hold the bolt steady while removing the nut. The hex-key is covered by the face of the latch, which is engaged with the striker. A long screw driver must  be used from tbe bottom access to use lateral pressure to hold the bolt motionless while rotating the nut off. (circus act which may become a clown show).

Image #2 This is a side view of the striker, showing the attaching nuts and bolts.

Image #3 This shows the jaw of the latch which engages with the striker to hold the bay door shut. Also shown is the latch release pull arm and its release cable, which is used to release the latch when it has failed electrically. The problem is that the release mechanism itself has a high failure rate. In my case, the electrical failure was followed closely in time by the mechanical failure of the release pull. This weakness makes the system beg for a better method to defeat the latch. Perhaps the striker-bracket assembly needs to be re-designed such that the attaching bolts are changed to studs and are vertical, providing better service-defeat capability with standard tools and methods.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I may not work this issue on Sunday, since we expect heavy rain here in the Lincoln/Omaha area where we are currently visiting. Better weather on Monday. This needs a successful conclusion (bay door open) because the coach is thirsty and does not have enough fuel to make it to Newell........More later.....

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

Richard,

Right you are!! The only access (non-destructive) is from below. Its approximately 18 inches from the bottom of the door up to the striker nuts. Tools I am making for the first try are 24" long 1/2" box/open end wrench and 24" long 1/4" drive 90 tooth ratchet.

Oh, one thing I forgot was that the striker bolts are close enough together that any box end wrench or socket need to be thin wall. No ratcheting box end wrench. Thank God for these challenges, otherwise I'd be bored to death hahahahaha.

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car